Today I was in a mood for some chocolate. What better way than to bake a chocolate cake? The last time I made one, it turned out little hard. I was not happy with the outcome. So I went logged back online and searched for different recipe and stumbled upon this Hershey chocolate cake which had loads of good reviews. Pleased by the comments, I decided to try this. I did not use my blender instead I was able to whisk everything by hand. The recipe was so easy and the results just fabulous. The cake turned out moist and had a strong cocoa flavor. For some fruity flavor I added strawberry filling.
Preparation time:20 minutes
Baking time:35 minutes
For the cake:
2 cups sugar
1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa powder
1-1/2 tsp baking powder
1-1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 cup milk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup boiling water
5oz bittersweet chocolate
10tbsp butter softened
1/3cup confectioners sugar
1 tbsp marsala
For Strawberry Filling:
1 cup fresh strawberries, chopped
1/3 cup whipping cream
1 tbsp strawberry jam
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease and flour two 8-inch baking pans.
2. Stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large bowl.
3. Mix eggs, milk, oil and vanilla for about 2-3 minutes.
4. Pour the liquid mixture over the dry ingredients. Mix the batter slowly, it might spill.
5. Stir in boiling water (batter will be thin). Then pour batter into prepared pans.
6. It exactly take 35 minutes. To check insert a knife in center and it should come out clean.
7. I let the cake cool over night.
1.Melt the chocolate over a double boiler of barely simmering water.
2.Beat butter and sugar in a medium sized bowl at a medium speed until creamy.
3.Add the melted chocolate;mix until glossy and smooth.Set aside to cool.
1.Blend the cream,strawberries and jam together.
Assembling the cake:
1.Place one layer on a serving plate and spread 1/3 of the strawberry filling.
2.Top with the second layer and spread the cake with chocolate frosting.Decorate with strawberries.COOK'S FILE:
HINT:I would recommend you to make the filling and frosting in advance.
VARIATION:Instead of marsala you can use coffee liquor or instant coffee dissolved in water.